Friday, April 29, 2011

I Am Not Alone

One thing I have learned since I decided to share my solo adventure is that traveling alone is NOT a novel idea! People travel alone all the time; some for business and most for pleasure, but all have gone unaccompanied to somewhere far, far away for days, weeks and even months at a time. So while I realize I am not alone in my quest for solitude, I still have never experienced what it means to be truly alone.
From the minute I was born, my large, eclectic family guaranteed that I would always have a parent or sibling in the midst. And when most kids are moving away from their parents and going off on their own, I had my own child, further alleviating the problem of ever being isolated.
Now don't get me wrong, I have done things alone. When I was seventeen I use to drive four hours by myself to McCook, Nebraska to visit my bestie, Lisa. It was on these solo drives that I discovered my incredible vocal talents (car acoustics are way better than any shower) and I also tried talking my way out of my first speeding ticket. I've gone to a movie alone and I have spent hundreds of hours studying alone at various restaurants and coffee shops. So I know I can do alone, I just don't know what alone for several days will be like.
Will I get bored? Will I feel lonely? Will I have an epiphany? Will I find inner peace?
Maybe I will find that cable TV and room service are a girl's best friend. Monday my adventure begins!
P.S.-Thanks for all the offers to come with me, but that might defeat the purpose! 
I imagine I might look something like this (click here)

No comments:

Post a Comment