Thursday, May 5, 2011

Day Three

I wish I had lots of exciting things to report today, but it was a pretty laid back kind of day. Slept in until 9:00, then headed to Winstead's Diner for breakfast. It reminded me of King's Drive Inn that use to be in Lincoln. I had planned to go to the park afterwards, but it was cold and windy, so I headed back to my room.
I spent a good part of the day being all kinds of lazy. I watched Glee & Ellen and worked on some "trip approved" work. This was the hardest "alone" day, but it allowed me the time I needed for some self-reflection.
Since this was my last night, I decided to dress up and go out for a nice dinner (nicer than bar food and stadium hot dogs). I opted for the shuttle because I'm not exactly well-practiced in walking in heels. Unfortunately, Tibbie was off-duty, so the ride down wasn't nearly as entertaining as my previous shuttle experience.
If I left Kansas City without having any barbecue, I would've been doing myself a disservice. I headed to Fiorella's Jack Stack Barbecue in the Plaza. A seat for one in the dining area was an hour wait, so I opted for the open seating at the bar. Leslie, the bartender, is in nursing school and so we had lots to talk about. I had the beef brisket and it was amazing. Out of all the places I ate alone, this experience felt the most awkward. It's easier to blend in at casual places, but I didn't see anyone else alone at this restaurant. I was also told I looked too serious which made me laugh because I don't see myself as that serious of a person.
It is now Thursday morning and I'm getting ready to head home. Housekeeping has knocked twice so far, so I think that is my cue to hit the road. I'm looking forward to seeing my little family and plugging back in to my life full of people and togetherness. I will let you know how my trip wraps up.

No comments:

Post a Comment